Siobhan Briley is first and foremost a litigator. She uses her extensive litigation experience to achieve favorable results not only in court but outside of court, as well—saving clients time and money, and minimizing the stressful experience of bringing or defending a lawsuit. Siobhan spent the first several years of her legal career litigating high-stakes cases in New York, N.Y. and Washington, D.C. She has litigated, tried, and appealed cases in both state and federal courts throughout Iowa and nationwide. She has argued appeals before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Eight Circuit, and Eighth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel. She also has arbitrated and mediated several matters to successful resolution.
Siobhan’s state court litigation practice encompasses disputes about land use, boundaries, and ownership and possession of real property; business and corporate litigation, both for-profit and nonprofit; probate litigation, including will contests; tax controversies, both civil and criminal; contract disputes; and landlord-tenant disputes. In her federal court litigation practice, Siobhan represents businesses and individuals in bankruptcy proceedings and litigation, civil and criminal health care litigation, and civil and criminal tax litigation. Siobhan also practices in the areas of probate, business planning, and estate planning.
Siobhan serves on the Councils for the Tax Section and the Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section of Iowa State Bar Association. She is also active in the Litigation Section of American Bar Association, serving as a co-chair of the Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights subcommittee of the Commercial & Business Litigation Committee. In 2018, she was named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an honorary organization of attorneys, judges, faculty, and legal scholars whose public and private careers have demonstrated outstanding dedication to the welfare of their communities and to the highest principles of the legal profession. Membership in the Fellows is limited to one percent of lawyers licensed in each jurisdiction.
Outside of work, Siobhan is active in her community through volunteering and providing pro bono legal services. She serves on the boards of directors of Girls on the Run of Eastern Iowa and Friends of Bunker Mill Bridge, Inc., and she works with the Volunteer Lawyers Project of Iowa Legal Aid. As an amateur triathlete, Siobhan endeavors to support kids and grownups in being active, healthy, and happy. She lives in Iowa City with her husband, Chris, and their rescued pets.
- Bachelor's Degree, University of Oregon
- Master of Fine Arts Degree (Fiction), University of Oregon
- Juris Doctorate, Georgetown University Law Center, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Law Clerk, Hon. Mary M. Schroeder, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Morvillo, Abramowitz, Grand, Iason, Anello & Bohrer, P.C., New York, NY
- Sullivan & Worcester, LLP, New York, NY
Involvement and Recognition
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND POSITIONS
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights Subcommittee, Commercial & Business Litigation Committee
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Tax Section Council Member
- Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section Council Member
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Iowa State Courts
- New York State Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Eight Circuit and Ninth Circuit
- United States Districts Courts for the Northern District of Iowa, Southern District of Iowa, Eastern District of New York, and Southern District of New York
- Great Plans Super Lawyers® Rising Star
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Publications and Speaking engagements
- Presenter, Iowa Paralegal Association, “Discovery, Litigation Hold Protocols, and e-Discovery,” Spring 2019
- Presenter, ISBA Corporate Counsel Institute, “Preparing to Defend and Defending Lawsuits: The Discovery Process,” November 2018
- Author, 2018 ISBA Real Estate Manual, Mortgages chapter, with David Bright and Samuel Young
- Author, The Law of Life Insurance (chapter on Iowa law) (2017 ed.), DRI, with Richard Kirschman
- Author, What We Do Everyday, Iowa Lawyer, June 2016
- Author, Expedited Civil Actions in Iowa -- A Defense Perspective, Iowa Defense Counsel Update, Spring 2016, with Stephen Doohen